TRACK MEN ELECT HAGGERTY TO CAPTAIN NEXT YEAR'S TEAM

Ellsworth Charles Haggerty '27 of Allston, intercollegiate mile champion for two consecutive years, was chosen yesterday to lead the University track team in 1927. The election was held when the team gathered at Notman's Studio for the annual picture.

The choice of Haggerty as the successor of Captain W. L. Tibbetts '26 means that for the second straight season the Crimson track squad will be captained by a stellar distance runner. The newly elected leader graduated from Boston Latin High School, and before entering Harvard starred chiefly as a middle distance man. As a Freshman, Haggerty returned a double winner against both Yale and Princeton first-year teams in the mile and half mile runs. Against the Exeter schoolboy squad however, he was defeated at the half-mile distance by his present teammate, A. H. O'Neil '28.

After placing second to J. N. Watters' 26 in several indoor meets over the mile route last year, Haggerty flashed into national fame at Philadelphia last spring, winning the I. C. A. A. A. A. title over a large field.