BAKER NAMES BUSINESS SCHOOL LIVING HALLS

LIBRARY CLASSROOM BUILDING WILL BEAR DONOR'S NAME

The Living Halls of the new Harvard Business School have been named in honor of Secretaries of the Treasury of the United States, according to an announcement made today by President Lowell.

The Library-Class Room Building, which will be completed during the winter will be known as the Baker Library.

The names were, selected by Mr. George F. Baker, donor of the $5,000,000 group of buildings now nearing completion, which will house the Business School. Six student dormitories have been named for the following men:

Robert Morris of Pennsylvania, signer of the Declaration of Independence, Superintendent of Finance under the Articles of Confederation, and founder of the Bank of North America, the first bank to be chartered in the United States.

Hamilton Fathered Monetary System

Alexander Hamilton of New York, first Secretary of the Treasury, who established the credit of the new nation upon a first Secretary of the Treasury, who established the credit of the new nation upon a firm basis, created a new monetary system, and proposed the Bank of the United States.

Albert Gallatin of Pennsylvania, once a teacher of French in Harvard College, who became minister to France and to England and negotiated the Treaty of Ghent in 1814, and who as Secretary of the Treasury, during the administrations of Presidents Jefferson and Madison, financed the Louisiana Purchase.

Salmon P. Chase of Ohio, Secretary of the Treasury upon whom devolved the financing of the Civil War, and founder of the National Banking System.

McCulloch Funded National Debt

Hugh McCulloch of Indiana, president of the Bank of Indiana, who became first Comptroller of the Currency, and who put into operation the National Banking System, as Secretary of the Treasury under Presidents Lincoln, Jefferson, and Arthur he carried through successfully the funding of the national debt after the Civil War.

Andrew W. Mellon of Pennsylvania, present Secretary of the Treasury, on whom in June 1926, was conferred the degree of Doctor of Laws by Harvard University with the following words, "who with rare courage and sagacity has conducted on enduring principles the public finance of a vast and complex nation."

Christens instructors Houses

Two instructors houses containing common room for the use of students have been named in honor of the following:

John Sherman of Ohio, Secretary of the Treasury under whose guidance the Resumption of Specie Payments took place on January 1, 1879.

Carter Glass of Virginia, largely responsible for the Federal Reserve Act, and Secretary of the Treasury in the period following the Armistice in 1918.