INSTRUMENTAL CLUBS OPEN TRIALS TONIGHT

CHICAGO IS GOAL OF CHRISTMAS VACATION TRIP

Trials for candidates tonight and tomorrow night will officially open the fortieth season of the University Instrumental Clubs. The trials will be held in the Music Building between 6.45 and 9 o'clock, and as usual, all members of the University are eligible to compete.

Following the scheme which was originated two years ago, the Clubs will be divided into five divisions, the Banjo Club, the Mandolin Club, the Vocal Club, the Gold Coast Orchestra, and the Specialty Division. Each of these divisions is directed by a leader and a committee chosen by the officers. Each applicant is strongly urged to try out in as many of the divisions as possible, since this will afford a better opportunity of judging each man accurately. Men participating in two or more units are obviously of greater use to the Instrumental Clubs, although good players in any one line are welcomed.

To Form Specialty Division

Mandolins, mandolas, guitars, violins, cellos flutes, clarinets mando-cellos, and bass violas are all needed for the Mandolin Club. Many of these instruments along with piccolos, trumpets, trombones, saxaphones, and drums are used in the Banja Club. The Gold Coast Orchestra is made up of a select group of players to provide the dance music for after the concerts. The Specialty Division offers ample opportunities for first rate vaudeville acts. Clog dancing, juggling, sleight of hand, ventriloquism, crayon drawing, along with xylophone, Hawaiian guitar, ukelele, and accordian playing are desirable.

Vocal Club an Important Unit

The Vocal Club has been termed the most popular unit of the organization. This division will take part in ever scheduled concert except those with Princeton and Yale, when the University Glee Club joins with the Instrumental Clubs. The object of the Vocal Class is to interest men in the revival of old time college songs and light airs. The rehearsals are always well attended and the atmosphere is very sociable.

Local concerts are held about once a fortnight in various nearby towns such as Worcester, Lowell, Concord, N. H., New Bedford, Fall River, and Providence. At least one long vacation trip is arranged each year similar to those held during the last three years. The trip this year will include Chicago and mid-western cities.

A competition, open to Freshmen only, for assistant manager of the Instrumental Clubs will begin at 6.30 o'clock tonight also. The work will consist of arranging and booking concerts, running rehearsals, writing letters and general managerial work.