PASTEUR CONTESTANTS TO DEBATE DEBT SETTLEMENT

Advantages of Settlement to France Subject of Debate

The Franco-American debt settlement will be the question under discussion in the annual debate for the Pasteur Medal.

The resolution reads: "Resolved, That the adoption of the Franco-American debt settlement is to the best interests of France." The preliminaries of the debate will be held on February 17, in Sever 36, but the final argument will not, take place till March 3. All members of the University who are interested in participating in the discussion, must send their names immediately to Professor L. J. Mercier, 134 Brattle Street, Cambridge.

In 1898 Baron Pierre de Couberton founded a prize for debating in the form of a medal, which was specially, struck and artistically designed. The prize is awarded to the successful contestant in an annual debate, which is conducted in English: The Administration of the prize is in the hands of the French Department, which is authorized to call in the aid of other instructors, of students and of graduates, in order to determine the precise conditions of the competition and in selecting judges. The complete rules governing the debate will be announced in the near future.