SANCTIFIED GOLD BRICKS

Among the remarkable achievements of latter-day America is the consolidation of the service of God and Mammon. Dr. Straton has lately put himself at the head of the Supreme Kingdom, an organization "to combat atheism, and its cursed ally, evolution", and to raise 1,000,000 dollars for the purpose. Dr. Stratton's share of the receipts are estimated at 30,000 dollars. Membership in the Supreme Kingdom costs twelve dollars if one joins as a "Crusader", 500 dollars, as a "Mystic Knight", 1000 dollars as a "Foundation Member". The general manager for this twentieth century scale of indulgences is one Edward Clarke, who has already earned a sum running into six figures by commissions off the sale of memberships to the Ku Klux Klan. Such a man finds that religion and patriotism pay.

Seemingly parallel to Dr. Straton's venture is the drive for funds now staged by the Anti-Saloon League. At a meeting in a Boston Church Rev. William, Harmon van Allen pleaded for contributions of from ten to one hundred dollars partly as a thank-offering to God for the blessings of Prohibition, and partly to fight, "any conspiracy of pocketbooks empty bottles, or of bums" who should make attempt at repeal the Volstead Act in 1928. So far as can be learned no specific mention was made as to the use of these funds. It is not vitally needed for propaganda; the Anti-Saloon League profits by an immense amount of free publicity. It cannot be used for enforcement; the United States Treasury takes care of that. Pretty certainly it will not be used for the victims of alcohol poisoning. A conspiracy deriving two thirds of its support from "empty bottles, and bums" is needless to say not a vital danger.

In many cults, though, thank-offerings to God are used for the support of His priests. We harbour an uncomfortable suspicion that a large part of the earnings of the Anti-Saloon League are used not to fight Rum but rather the wolves from the doors of Wayne B. Wheeler and his fellow pioneers of abstinence.

The public may like to be fooled; it is often considered perfectly legitimate to fool them. We rather balk, though, at bricks gilded with piety. Swindling is never commendable; when supported by ministers of the Gospel and the sanctity of the Church, it is somewhat shocking.