Distinguished Artists, Well-Rounded Program Again in Boston--Opens With "Aida"

The Chicago Civic Opera Company will launch its Boston season of two weeks at the Opera House on January 31.

The engagement will open with the most colorful of Grand Opera presentations, melodious and spectacular "Aida," with its Eastern atmosphere of extravagant pomp. "Faust," "Lucia," "I Pagliacci," "Carmen," "La Boheme," and "II Trovatore," some of the most popular works of the lyric repertoire, are included in the program.

Following its usual custom, the Company has arranged a special performance for "Harvard Night," on February 3. "La Cena Delle Beffe" will be the presentation. Although widely known in its literary and dramatic aspects, it has never been sung in Boston. This great and colorful music drama of Florence in the days of Lorenzo the Magnificent will be remembered as the vehicle in which John and Lionel Barrymore established an epoch-making success under the title "The Jest."

The cast chosen for this performance rivals the repertoire in brilliancy. Clandio Muszio, one of the foremost primadonnas, will sing the leading role. Eide Norena, known throughout Europe as the Norwegian nightingale, and Virgilio Lazzari, one of the finest basso-baritones and an actor of exceptional ability, are included in the cast.