THE CRIME'S OWN AMERICANA

By V. O. J.

"His color is good and his lips are a healthy red" Senator Royal S. Copeland, of President Coolidge.

* * * * * *

"I wake up in the middle of the night, fearful lest something terrible may be happening at our army posts"--Secretary of War Davis.

* * * * * *

"Your order of so called suspension has reached me and amused me very much"--Warden Tynan to Governor C. T. Morley of Colorado.

* * * * * *

"What do you Americans mean by 'petting' or 'pecking'? The things which I imagine are referred to don't happen over there. I'm sure they don't" Canon Elliott of Leeds, England.

* * * * * *

"Michelangelo was strong, like me." Max Kalish.

* * * * * *

"To combat atheism and its accursed ally, evolution."--Purpose of Dr. Straton's "Supreme Kingdom".

* * * * * *

"At any rate, we never each call other blue-jackets'"--Leo Richman, U. S. S. West Virginia.

* * * * * *

"You ought to be thankful for all your blessings."--President Coolidge to Benjamin W. Morris III, designer of the New York Cunard Building, and father of 34 children.

* * * * * *

"I cannot imagine that there is in the whole world a woman capable of refusing to dance with a Turkish officer."--Mustafa Kemal Pasha.

* * * * * *

"Damme Sir! We love you for yourself!"--Viscount Byng to Edward, Prince of Wales.

* * * * *

"Well, it is surprising to me that you can't go up into one of the provinces of Canada and do business in a legitimate way."--Senator Goff to Senator Gould.

* * * * *

"Pelmanism is a big, vital, significant contribution to the mental life of America."--Judge Ben B. Lindsay.

* * * * * *

"Thank God there is no prohibition in Sweden."--William, Prince of Sweden.