THE PLAGUE OF PROFESSIONALISM

George Young has conquered the Catalina channel and as a result found himself the most talked of person in America. Gertrude Ederle, a few months ago, found herself in a similar position. Red Grange and how many others have found that because of unusual athletic ability they are able to command salaries that would seem fabulous to a college professor and are not equaled by the majority of capable and efficient business men. We aren't belittling their achievements, which are without doubt the result of hard work and ability, but it does seem to be evidence of an unhealthy attitude on the part of the American public. An interest in athletics is natural and desirable but when commercialized to the present extent it loses something fundamental. Cities and towns maintain representative athletic teams for advertising purposes, spectators attend to wager on the outcome and players play for material gain. Sport has ceased to be sport; it has become an industry, with managers, capitalists, publicity agents, official publications and all the other features of any big business enterprise.

Many an amateur athlete is so only in name. He prefers huge expense accounts to a salary. West Virginia Wesleyan was forced to curtail football because it was learned that players there were receiving financial inducement to represent her on the gridiron. And now it is proposed that Lawrence High School should reward its athletes with scholarships.

Professionalism has invaded the last stronghold of amateur athletics, the schools and colleges, although there still seems to be a feeling that appearances must be maintained at any cost. Evasions and technicalities are used to get around the spirit of the amateur rule. If the public permits them it tacitly gives its consent to professionalism and opens the way for its active sponsors.