No College Men Need Apply--Eastern Executive, Contributor to Success Magazine, Has Had Fill of University Products

"No college graduate need apply to me for a job. He will not even get consideration. I have had my fill of college graduates and have made an absolute rule against hiring college men."

This pronouncement against college-trained men comes from a prominent Eastern business executive who formerly favored college graduates. It comes also at a time when American colleges are graduating the largest number of young men in their history.

The employer in question lists the following reasons "why I would not hire a college man".

1--Because of their naive notions about business--or their prejudices against the business world;

2--Because of their laziness, irregular hours, desires for much time off, and their casual attitude toward their work.

3--Because of their constant desire for undeserved raises in salary in order to maintain the false standards of life they learned at college when they lived on their father's money or bluffed their way, or went into debt.

4--Because of their ingrained notion that they are of a different breed and therefore should be treated differently from the non-college workers.

5--Because of their lack of ability to think, to make reasoned and practical deductions.

6--Because of their pleasure-loving habits, fostered at college, which seriously interfere with their tackling a job in an earnest manner.

7--Because of their unwillingness to start work at a salary that they are worth.

8--Because of their tendency to leave as soon as a little more money is offered them; in other words because of no sense of apprenticeship and of growth by degrees on merit.

The article concludes with the charge that college men "can't forget their college or deflate their snobbish exaggeration of the worth of their diploma. The showing of the graduates contrasts very poorly with that of non-graduates. I know; I've been watching them for years."