SCIENCE THE ISSUE AS DEBATERS MEET

Replaces Gleason, Chief Sponsor of Exhibition Debate on Saturday at Exeter Academy

At 8.30 o'clock tonight in Paine Hall of the Music Building, the Harvard Debating Team will meet the Leland Stanford debaters in the first debate ever held between Harvard and a far western university.

The question to be debated is: "Resolved That there is more to be feared than hoped for from science." Harvard will uphold the affirmative.

Lorenzen, Hubbard Speakers

F. W. Lorenzen '23, New Haven, Connecticut, and E. H. Hubbard '30, South Bend, Indiana, will represent the University. Lorenzen is president of the Harvard Debating Council, and recently took part in the Harvard-Cambridge debate. Hubbard is a promising first-year debater. The Leland Stanford debaters are H. R. Turkel '27, Los Angeles, California and F. M. Combelack '28, San Francisco, California.

Professor J. S. P. Tatlock '96 is acting as the Chairman of the Harvard-Leland Stanford debate. He takes the place of A. A. Gleason '86, of Boston, who is ill. Professor Tatlock, formerly of Leland Stanford, is now a Professor of English at Harvard. He was very recently elected vice-president of the Association of University Professors in the third session of its annual meeting, which was held at the University of Pennsylvania in connection with the annual meeting of the American Association for the Advancement of Science.

Audience To Vote

Contrary to the usual custom there will be no judges for the contest. A vote of the audience will determine which side of the question has been best presented and argued by the debaters. This is known as the English system of judging and although employed in the recant Harvard-Cambridge debate, this will be the first time Harvard has used it in competing with an American university Ballots will be passed out to the members of the audience, and they will be asked to signify their choice as to the winner.

In addition to the four original speeches, the affirmative side of the question is allowed a six minute rebuttal. Dorenzen, the first speaker, will give his rebuttal for Harvard.

The Leland Stanford debaters are meeting Harvard as one of a schedule of Eastern debates. Last night they met Bates at Lewiston, Maine Harvard will defend the affirmative side of the same question. "Resolved: That there is more to be feared than hoped for from science," against Bates College on Saturday, January 8th, at Phillips Exeter Academy in an exhibition debate.

Harvard will be represented against Bates College by F. W. Lorenzen '28, of New Haven, Connecticut, C. E. Wyzanski '27, of Brookline, and E. M. Rowe '27, of Indianapolis, Indiana. Mark Winklev '28, of Lawrence, will be the alternate.

This will be the first exhibition debate attempted by Harvard. It has been brought about through the efforts of Mr. Gleason, who is anxious to stimulate an interest in forensic speaking among the students of Exeter Academy.