VERMONT TO GIVE CRIMSON ELEVEN FIRST 1927 TEST

Heavier University Team Should Come Out on Long End of Score--Invaders Have Kicking Threat

The 1927 model of the Harvard football machine will get its initial test on the Soldiers Field turf this afternoon when the team from the University of Vermont comes from the Green Mountains to share in the festivities of another gridiron opening. The starting whistle is scheduled to blow at 3 o'clock.

The Vermonters have already been tried in action. Last Saturday they journeyed to Baker Field, New York, and were trounced, 32 to 0, by a rejuvenated Columbia eleven. On this occasion the Catamounts were given little opportunity to display their brand of football. The Blue and White backs tore through the line to score almost at will.

Eleven Untried

Coach Arnold Horween '20 will send an untried aggregation onto the greensward at the kick-off. Six letter men, veterans of former campaigns, will be in the Crimson array, but three of the five remaining players on the team have never seen service in a University game W. W. Lord '28, who will fill in at the right wing of the Harvard line, will taste his first University action, while in the backfield D. J. Kelley '28, who will guide the team from the quarterback's post, and S. C. Burns '29, at fullback, are new men.

The remainder of the Crimson forward line has been tried under fire. B. H. Strong Occ, at left end, Dudley Bell '28, the pivot man, Daniel Simonds '28, right guard, and Captain C. A. Pratt '28, right tackle, are veterans of one or more Yale games. F. A. Clark '29 and John Parkinson '29, left tackle and guard respecive- ly, saw action in encounters last fall.

In J. P. Crosby '28 and David Gurarnacia '28 Harvard will have two fast, shifty backs. Two years ago Crosby, as a Sophomore, was the sensation of the University season, but was ineligible last fall. Gurarnacia was a gridiron unknown in his Freshman year, but last season rose from the Seconds and developed into one of the fastest interfering backs and the most accurate passer on the University squad. This pair shoud bother the Vermont defense in today's game.

Captain Smith, of the visitors is known as a strong punter who averages nearly 50 yars on his kicks. The Harvard squad is not blessed with an extraordinarily powerful kicker, but Burns, who will handle the booting asignment this afternoon, is a capable punter. A. E. French '29 and T. G. Moore '29, two backs who are certain to get into the game, are the other kickers on the University gridiron squad.

Statisticans and their followers will be interested to learn that the University team outweighs the visitors. The figures for the line give an average of 187 pounds for the Harvard forward wall and 178 for the Vermont bulwark. The advantage in the backfield is by a margin of 174 to 161, while the average team weights are 182 and 172. The gross weight of the Harvard team is one ton on the hoof; the Vermonters aggregate is 110 pounds less