13 DEBATERS LEFT AFTER SECOND CUT

Oppose Team Composed of Men From Three English Universities--Pacifism Is to Be Subject of Harangue

The University debating squad was cut a second time last night in preparation for the debate in Symphony Hall on October 28 with a team composed of men from three English universities. Thirteen men were retained. Another cut will be made next Monday. The plan of procedure as outlined to a CRIMSON reporter last night by the coaches, was to keep six men at work on the case until the night of the debate. Three will speak and three will serve as alternates. The speakers will not be chosen until a few days before the encounter.

The original plan was to cut the squad to ten men in the trials last night. Due, however, to the unusually large turn-out for the debating team last Monday, it was found impossible to cut the squad to a small number at once. There will be at least two more sets of preliminary speeches delivered by the candidates before the final six debaters are chosen.

At present, the 13 men retained have been divided into two squads, one to speak on the affirmative, and the other on the negative side of the question, "Resolved: That the only effective attitude towards war is an uncompromising pacifism." Both sides of the question will be investigated in this way. When the final six are chosen, they will work intensively on the affirmative side of the question, which the Harvard team is to uphold.

Each man retained is to bring to the trials at 7 o'clock Monday night in the New Lecture Hall a written outline of his speech as he intends to deliver it. Speeches, are to be seven minutes in length, and will be presented on the negative side of the question by J. L. Beauchamp Jr. '28, Trevor Grimm '29, F. W. Lorenzen '28, B. A. Otis '29, Saul Rosenzweig '29, and W. E. Swigert '30.

The following men will prepare seven minute speeches on the affirmative side of the question: C. C. Alpern '28, E. Q. Bassett '29, A. L. Raffa Occ., A. F. Reel '28, S. G. Silverman '30, R. C. Weaver '29, and Barrett Williams '28.