CARLTON RESIGNS MANAGERSHIP OF UNIVERSITY TEAM

Requirements of Difficult Field of Concentration to Occupy Time--Youngman to Fill Berth

In order to devote his attention exclusively to his studies, Winslow Carlton '29, Assistant Manager of the University football team, has resigned the University managership which would have been his next year. This is the first time, so far as is known, in Harvard football annals that a manager in good standing has given up his post to devote more attention to academic pursuits.

The place left vacant by Carlton's resignation will be filled by W. S. Youngman '29 at present manager of the second team it was announced last night. In the Sophomore competition for second assistant manager last year, Youngman placed second to Carlton.

Carlton is concentrating in the History and Literature of the Rennaisance, generally considered to be one of the most difficult fields in the College. The amount of time necessary to fulfill the requirements of this field, it is understood, is the chief factor which has induced Carlton to give up his managerial duties.

Text of Resignation Unknown

W. J. Bingham, '16, Director of Athletics, received Carlton's resignation on Saturday with the request that the letter remain unopened until after the Harvard Holy Cross game that afternoon. In view of the unusual nature of this resignation, the CRIMSON endeavored to obtain the text of the Carlton's statement. But the letter is now in the hands of the Athletic Committee and its contents may not be divulged without the sanction of a plenary session of that body.

Carlton, reached by telephone in New York late last night, said he wished to make it clear that his resignation was in no way to be considered a reflection upon the managerial competitions or his relations with the football authorities.

Commenting on Carlton's resignation, Bingham said, "We regret his loss very much. He has proved himself in every respect an excellent manager." H. W. Clark '23, Assistant Graduate Treasurer of the H. A. A., concurred in praising Carlton's qualities as a manager and added that Carlton had hesitated in taking this step for fear of setting a precedent. According to Clark, the resignation was prompted by circumstances peculiar to this particular case and not likely to arise often.