THE THREE YEAR COURSE

The soundest substantiation of Professor Taussig's advocacy of a three year course for a degree in Harvard College may be found in the proverbial assumption that the old order changeth. That the ultimate goal in many cases has been transposed from an A.B. or S.B. to a degree in one of the graduate schools is an undoubted fact. This is an age of specialization, as one is so often reminded, and specialization requires advanced and particularized training.

On the other hand, the majority of men who matriculate in the College do so with the idea that the end has begun and that a collegiate degree will conclude their formal education. It is not, perhaps, a great majority; it is nevertheless sufficiently large to obviate any change in plans which would do harm to it, although benefiting a powerful and increasing minority. One must first consider whether or not a candidate can successfully complete requirements for an A.B. in any less than four years; and such reckoning should be accomplished, not on the presumption that he intends to pursue his academic career but on the consideration as to whether or not he may be properly termed an educated man at the end of that shorter period of time. If, at the end of the three years, the man is as well grounded in whatever constitutes "a general education" as he was following a four year term Professor Taussig's theory is acceptable. But if he is educated only in the sense that he is fitted for further scholastic work, then one must reject even primary consideration of the proposal.

Mr. Taussig's objections to certain first year courses as being useless and elementary are undoubtedly logical. The root of this evil lies, however, rather with the system of secondary education than the governments of advanced institutions. Elementary courses are offered not because they are elementary but because presumably they fill a need. That need once removed, the vacuities in the Freshman mind once made whole with a firm foundation, the courses, theoretically, should cease. Such action has been evidenced in the College by announcement that English A exemptions are allowed to men whose abilities have been tested and found worthy.