1931 OFFERED PRIZES FOR CHEMICAL ESSAYS

CONTEST DIRECTED BY AMERICAN CHEMICAL SOCIETY

Six thousand dollars in each prizes will soon be available to Freshmen with chemical proclivities, according to a recent announcement from the American Chemical Society.

A prize essay contest, the awards of which are endorsed by Mr. and Mrs. F. P. Garvan of New York, will be conducted during this winter, and will close on March 1, 1928. This contest is open to Freshmen in all colleges and universities in the United States. The awards will be six first prizes of $500, six second prizes of $300, and six third prizes of $200, for essays on each of the following six subjects.

1. The Relation of Chemistry to Health and Disease.

2. The Relation of Chemistry to the Enrichment and Life.

3. The Relation of Chemistry to Agriculture or Forestry.

4. The Relation of Chemistry to National Defense.

5. The Relation of Chemistry to Home.

6. The Relation of Chemistry to the Development of an industry or a Resource of the United States.

A man to be eligible must be a student who has satisfied college entrance requirements, is enrolled in a college or university and is continuing work of a first year collegiate grade. A contestant may submit only one essay, and this must not exceed 2500 words in length. Essays must be typewritten, double spaced, on one side of appear eight and one half inches by 11 inches. They must bear the name, home address, and name and address of the institution attended by the contestant, and must be in the hands of the Secretary, Committee on Prize Essays, American Chemical Society, 85 Beaver Street, New York City, not later than March 1, 1928, Farther information on the contest may be obtained at 4 University Hall.