WALSH SUGGESTS BASIC ISSUES OF 1928 CAMPAIGN

Says Republican Party Is Honeycombed With Money -- Stresses Importance of Minority

The fundamental political issue for the 1928 campaign is not prohibition or tariff or foreign relations, but it is legalized extortion and government-protected exploitation. It is a question of how much longer and to what extent the government is going to be controlled by big business at the expense of the rank and file of the Nation."

In such a manner, Senator David I. Walsh, speaking last night before a group of about 150 students, at the Harvard Union, referred to the 1928 presidential campaign. Senator Walsh paid no attention to the stock issues of the campaign, utterly ignoring matters pertaining to A1 Smith, the League of Nations, or prohibition, but he railled at the Republican party, its methods of operation, its organization, and its corrupt practices.

"The Republican party is saturated and honeycombed with money," Senator Walsh stated. "It is directed and controlled by wealth, and its sole object is to make the men of wealth safe. Into the regulation of tariff, trusts, and interstate commerce, the present administration is throughly entrenched, supporting those men and those corporations which contribute to the party funds."

Towards breaking up such a strongly entrenched party, a minority political faction is important, Senator Walsh pointed out, and added that the Demo- cratic party will be important in the approaching campaign in bringing to light corrupt practices.

The meeting, which is the first of a series of gatherings to be held at the Union this fall and winter to discuss the political campaign, was followed by an open forum discussion. About 60 men also signed cards indicating a desire to attend the dinners which will be given before similar meetings in the future, in which the speakers will be the guests