YALE HALFBACK DEFINITELY OUT

Committee Feels Breaking Rule Would Be Dangerous Step--Full Text of Statement Is Below

New Haven, Conn., November 10--Bruce Caldwell, Yale's halfback, is definitely barred from the gridiron for the remainder of the present season, and will not play in either the Princeton or Harvard game. This is the essence of a statement issued tonight by Professor G. H. Nettleton '96, chairman of the Board of Athletic Control of Yale University, after a prolonged session of that body here tonight.

The committee made it plain that it had arrived at its decision with due regard to the fact that Caldwell's ineligibility under the rule affecting athletes who had represented another university in a sport are ineligible to play for Yale in that branch of athletics, had been raised by both Princeton and Harvard, and based its action on the fact that to set the precedent for breaking the rule would be a dangerous step to take.

The full text of Professor Nettleton's statement is as follows:

"The Board of Control of the Yale University Athletic Association deeply appreciate the generous initiative of both Princeton and Harvard in suggesting that Bruce Caldwell be permitted, if possible, to play in their coming games with Yale. Both Harvard and Princeton clearly and courleously recognized that, under our dual agreements, final responsibility of determining all questions of eligibility rests with the university concerned.

"Under the existing rules, Mr. Caldwell is clearly ineligible to compete in football against Princeton and Harvard, and it seems equally clear to us that no single university can change the rules itself. After careful consid eration, our Board has accordingly unanimously reaffirmed the decision already announced. With like accord, our members unite in expressing their hearty appreciation of the gracious action of Harvard and Princeton, and their belief that it confirms and strengthens our mutual friendship and regard.