MORROW'S ALMANACK. Burton Rascoe, Editor, William Morrow & Co., New York, 1927.

T HE person who invariably orders chicken salad, who is smazed when his best friend answers the steward in French, and who is alone in a crowd will find all his problems solved for the year 1928 in this Almanack.

Modelled, even as top typography and woodcuts, on the once popular Poor Richard's Year Book, this volume contains as much information as its prototypes. It is, besides, brought right up to date, so that the information contained between the covers represents, as far as possible, a collection in permanent form of all standard subjects for tea and dinner table small talk provided by such magazines as Vanity Fair, the New Yorker, with even a touch of the Hound and Horn.

There is no trivial subject under the sun, from Japanese dressing gowns to Gilda Gray's hips, that is not recounted with considerable wit, and there are, besides, plenty of short quotations from famous authors, strewn through the days of the year--just the thing for the man who wishes to be the life of the party.

Here, for instance, is the menu for May, as set forth in the Almanack list of contents:

"A tip on racing; the sign of Gemini; a Poem by Witter Bynner; a businesslike forecast by Edward Streeter; a drawing by C.D. Batchelor; some Praise of Circuses by Earl Chapin May; a Portrait in Words by Gertrude Stein; and a sketch by Janet Smalley."

And so it goes through the other months with the following among others, contributing their specialities--poems, wit, essays, drawings, criticism: John Macy, Marc Connelly, Dorothy Parker, George Jean Nathan, Phillips Russell, A.H. Woods, Ida M. Tarbell, Sidney S. Lenz, Jane Cowl, H.L. Mencken, and Florenz Ziegfeld.

Besides this, the publishers "acknowledge with profound gratitude the aid of Messrs. Aesop, Wm. Howe, Rob't Herrick, Poor Robin, Chas. Warner, Ben Jonson, Plato, and Shakespeare "to mention but a few of the post mortuous contributions to this very delightful, very helpful book.