RELIGIOUS LIBERTY. By Albert C. Dieffenbach, William Morrow and Co., New York, 1927, $1.50.

By Kenneth JOHNSTON .

AS the title implies, the purpose of this book is to show that the present attitude of the churches in America is contrary to the framing of the Constitution and its guarantee of religious freedom. The author's attack is upon the fundamentalist strain, running through and dominating the chief Protestant churches of this country--not, he declares, from disagreement with the fundamentalist doctrine, but because of its attitude towards the individual. A large part of its book is taken up with facts supporting this contention. In the course of his discussion he is led naturally to the statement--that we never got the Reformation and we never had Protestantism! He proceeds to indict the churches on the charge of interpreting religion in terms of an out-worn theology--the literal interpretation of the Bible. He is ready to agree that theology is essential to religion, but wants a constant religion and a progressive theology! His Religion, he describes as Faith in Life itself,' 'a sovereign insight into Life's meaning,' whatever redeems life from the power of evil, whatever gives it freedom and greatness must be true.

This view, it seems, must necessitate an aesthetic judgement of truth--a feeling of harmony and unity. Unfortunately Mr. Dieffenbach's book does not contain the aesthetic requirements to be demanded from a book setting forth such views. The style is appalling. How does one think 'long, long thoughts,' and what appeal, if any, have puissant moral dynamics? Heaven defend us from such things. The cover of the book is blue and the print is large.