SPORTICANA

Although the news has not yet reached the majority of American interior decorators, a change is coming over the fashion in parior keepsakes. The chip from the base of the Sphinx, the vial of water from the Red Sea, the bag of dust from the Catacombs; they are all doomed to go. The thing to supplement the pictures taken at the beach is now the family collection of "priceless and cherished symbols of American sport achievement," as the New York store sponsoring the idea calls them. Baseballs whose motion during a world series has been broadcast to five million listeners, the "77" jersey of Grange viewed from behind by spectator and player alike, the polo mallet of Devercux Milburn, the horseshoes that were first under the wire at Churchill Downs, the bats of Ruth and Gehrig, and Bill Tilden's racket. Harvard students will notice that no college of size is unrepresented but their own.

The reason for this is clear. After the sen battles with Yale in 1923 and 1924 the mud-caked pants were not hung up in the Fogg Museum; they were washed out for use in spring practice. Even now it is only too true that one may see the numeralled crimson jersey that ripped through the thin blue line in 1926, working on the dummy with the McKinlock second team. Harvard is indicated on the charge of emotional indifference, and all because of the utilitarian souls of Joe Dube and the Harvard athletic Association.