THE DESIRE TO WIN

If today were the be-all and the end-all the CRIMSON should be tempted to say, "Hence Loathed Melancholy..", and banish with a word its fears of darkest midnight born. For today is worth a deal of football. Stripped of all else today will witness a game worth much in itself. And to it will be added that accompanying virtue which comes but once a year, a wholesale association with the members of Yale University. The CRIMSON takes great pleasure in welcoming the entire Yale body to Cambridge and wishes it all the enjoyment and benefit that the occasion commands.

Today we have the Game, that light which hides at times under the bushel of events, only to burn with undimmed lustre when the last man, woman, and child is drawn to Stadium or Bowl. A game, by all the word implies, includes elements of chance and presupposes the desire to win. Games are played to the won, which has nothing at all to do with the effect of victory or defeat. After the game the competition is over, and the content for superiority, not the goal, is its reward. Over a long period of years Harvard and Yale have engaged in athletic competition. In that time the two universities have engaged in a rivalry intense and fierce and withal the most logical because it is between friends and equals. Such a tradition needs no artificial inspiration. All Harvard from player down to editor recognizes and honors a rivalry, whose final aim can be only victory, but whose virtue lies within itself.