Rodinistic Experimentation of Lampoon Artist Shocks Aesthetic Reviewer--He Wonders What Cover Is All About

The following review of the current issue of the Lampoon was written for the Crimson by Huntington Brown '22, instructor and tutor in the Division of Modern Languages.

The Lampoon is, of course, a fraud at all times. One only demands that it be a successful one. Such seems to be the current number.

Let us praise its sanity, its good humor, and, if we may condescend, its want of chauvinism (though at the moment there is nothing to be chauvinistic about, not even a football team, is there?)

But, in particular, what does the cover mean? Is Mr. Cox giving us a now version a La Rodin of what two gargoyles are doing in a certain cloisters in Oxford, or is it a fight? Mr. Cox stimulates the imagination. Many thanks to him for telling us the name of Eddie Morris. The High Hat Club is a good collection of drawings, but the captions--they are the real High Hat part of it. What are they all about?

No Lampoon is ever read till its pictures are exhausted. The poem about the goldfish belonging to the old lady of "singularly wanton frame of mind" is evidently the work of a writer who can do still better. The ballad of the Rotunda pleases by reason of the popuarity of its subject, but no traffic sergeant in Cambridge, Mass., says "wolking" or "goil"--never!

I appreciate most the book-reviewer's account of the football game. His attitude is what all men who are civilized come to. Can we name the players? Not we. We sit in the Stadium with our minds higher in the clouds than the ever present airplane, our thoughts richly speculative. The article says, for example, "In a moment of thrilling suspense the ball was hurled down the field and the catcher let it slip from his hands. Here was a situation. . . The coach stood up on the side lines and with a refreshingly unsentimentalized characterization, told the player he had made an error." This is almost literature.