CRIMSON INAUGURATES FOUR COMPETITIONS

ALL COMPETITIONS TO BE OF NINE WEEKS DURATION

The regular winter competitions will open in all four departments of the CRIMSON on Tuesday, November 29 with a preliminary meeting in the CRIMSON Building, 14 Plympton Street, at 7 o'clock. Sophomores will be given their last opportunity at that time to compete for election to the News and Photographic boards, while the second Editorial competition open to Juniors will also get under way. In opening its competition to Freshmen as well as Sophomores the Business Department will offer members of the Class of 1931 their first chance to try out for the CRIMSON board.

All of the competitions will last nine weeks, ending directly after the close of the mid-year period. Ferreting out news, covering assignments, and writing up the stories which appear in the daily issues of the paper constitute the chief part of the news candidates work. Ability to get advertising is usually the decisive factor in the competition for the Business board, although the collection of subscriptions and a certain amount of office work also play a part in the Business aspirant's career.

All the stages of photography from the conception of suitable pictures to the intricacies of the Dark Room form the work required by the Photographic Department. The Editorial candidate is expected to follow the course of public events closely and to submit for publication at least one editorial daily.