AGNOSTICS TO FACE STRATON REASONING

Tufts Professor to Oppose New York Divine on Agnosticism--Student Speakers Not Yet Chosen

The Reverend John Roach Straton D. D. of the Calvary Baptist Church, New York City, noted fundamentalist and exponent of divine healing, will debate at the Union next Tuesday instead of Warden L. E. Lawes of Sing Sing Prison, as previously announced.

Due to the inability of Senator C. H. Baumes to speak at the Debating Union on December 6, Mr. Lawes has also been forced to cancel his slated appearance at that time for a discussion of Capital Punishment. This debate was to have taken place on Tuesday, December 6, it has been learned, and not next week, as was announced on Wednesday.

Dr. Straton's opponent on Tuesday will be Professor R. C. Givier of the Department of Philosophy and Psychology at Tufts College, and the question which they will argue is: "Resolved, That the growing tendency toward agnosticism is undermining our social structure." Dr. Straton will uphold the affirmative and Professor Givler will support the negative of the question. The debate will take place at 7.30 o'clock in the Living Room of the Union.

Dr. Straton has been in the limelight of publicity for the past few years because of his strict and outspoken fundamentalist beliefs, and has lately taken up the cult of divine healing, arousing considerable antagonism from other clergymen on this score.

His debate on Evolution last November at the Philips Brooks House with Professor K. F. Mather of the Department of Physiography aroused great interest and enthusiasm among the undergraduates. Hundreds of students listened to the arguments.

The undergraduates who will side respectively with Dr. Straton and Professor Givler have not yet been picked, but announcement of their names will be made within a few days, according to the Graduate Secretaries of the Union.