SIXTEENTH CENTURY TAPESTRY FIGURES IN GIFTS TO FOGG

Recent Acquisitions Include Textiles as Well as Paintings

Recent acquisitions in the Fogg Art Museum have included not only paintings, but objects in the field of the decorative arts, for textiles of various types, including a fragment of early sixteenth century tapestry, have lately been presented to the Museum.

Among the recent additions to the paintings of the Museum, are four Italian paintings presented by M. Durand-Ruel, including a late Venetian "Adoration of the Magi." A new Daumier drawing entitled "The Butcher", acquired by the Museum through the Alpheus Hyatt Purchasing Fund, is considered one of Daumier's finest works.

The textile gift of Mrs. R. H. Monks, recently made to the Museum, includes a sixteenth century chasuble in an excellent state of preseration, an eighteenth century English embroidery showing the influence of Indian painted fabries, a fragment of early sixteenth century tapestry, and a Bokhara embroidery that is dated early as the eighteenth century.

Two Kelin rugs, which are judged exceptionally good specimens of the rug-weaver's art, have also been acquired, and are exhibited in one of the corridors on the third floor of the Museum.