I'LL HAVE A FINE FUNERAL

The Red Queen who sat beside Alice and yelled, "Faster, faster!" sits beside most automobile drivers of to-day and her call is no less potent because it is a silent one. The theory, if not the practice, of the idea that travel in the street is the right of the pedestrian and the privilege of the motorist has often been iterated. In an entire nation of increasingly nimble broken field runners there will be found few more ardent supporters of this civic principle than those members of Harvard College who are daily obliged to cross Harvard Square.

Morning after morning that mainstay of journalistic discussion, the insouciance of the younger generation, finds new illustration on Massachusetts Avenue. With new construction work rising in the Square it is not too much to say that the lives of Harvard classes yet unborn are in the hands of the Elevated's engineers. In an age of more than one kind of acceleration the names of the quick of yesterday are often to be found in the columns of the dead of to-day. It is to be hoped that the rebuilt mausoleum rising from the paying will provide no excuse for the classical use of the mausoleum as one's final resting place.