DISCUSSES P. B. H. SOCIAL SERVICE

Undergraduates Can Help More Than Large Donation in Future--Activity Is of All Kinds

The following article on Social Service work at the Phillips Brooks House was written for the Crimson by L. M. McTurnan '28, Secretary of the Social Service Committee.

The responsibility for the advancement of slum living conditions lies with college men, both undergraduate and graduate. Twenty years hence the members of the classes of 1928 to 1931 will share the burdens of their communities unflinchingly, and even with positive enjoyment. For, to the last man, they will realize that only in so far as the less fortunate members of those communities are encouraged, protected from the risks of poor living conditions and offered opportunities for self advancement, just so far can a community prosper.

Life today is far removed from the plane on which every man looks out for himself and cares not at all what happens to his neighbor. It altruistic motives are fundamentally lacking in the character of the individual he is usually forced to a realization of the great purpose of social service through his purely selfish interests. Every manufacturer and employer of labor knows that he must take an interest in his employees' welfare as an insurance on his own success. That such selfish interests alone should actuate welfare work is to be deplored.

To a certain extent every college man whose parents are supporting him is a parasite. True the investment will double or triple eventually; but for the time he is absolutely worthless to anyone but himself. And this at a time when he could assist as no other human; when he could be of infinitely more value than his own father in certain fields of welfare work. He can be of more value by lending himself to the needs of a boys' club now than he can by a fat donation in 1948. He can coach a basketball team or referee a game now, while in 1948 he will be too far removed from the point of view of a small gang of newsboys to reach them in any such way. Beyond his committee work and his financial aid he will feel that he is too old to help. In exceptional cases age will not interfere but the fact still remains that far more valuable material is lying dormant in undergraduates, who feel that they are tremendously, oh yes, tremendously over-loaded with work. Most of these same students would have nervous prostration after one day of their fathers' routine.

At registration every student was afforded opportunity to volunteer for social service work. Many men ignored this; others shunted the burden less gracefully after once volunteering. It has been impossible thus far to reach all the volunteers but as the number gradually decreases it becomes more and more evident that the percentage of real workers will be far too low. A re-canvassing of all students may become necessary but it would be much more fitting if Harvard's quota were genuinely volunteer and not begged.

The Social Service Committee holds regular office hours at the Phillips Brooks House throughout the day to explain the needs and requirements to all men interested. The types of work are unlimited, varying from musical, dramatic and debating instruction, through English and Americanization teaching and down to athletic coaching and boys' club and Boy Scout work. Men are placed daily who have had no experience