AIRPLANES SOON TO GO 500 MILES IN AN HOUR

American Express Company President Foresees Development of Airplane to Four Times Its Present Size

A series of lectures is being given in connection with the aeronautic exhibition which is being held in the Business School this week. Among the lecturers is R. E. M. Cowie, President of the American Railway Express Company. Mr. Cowie spoke on "The Relationship of Aviation to Commerce."

"In five years the commercial airplane will be four times, the size it is today, and eventually commerical aviation will create a business of its own, as did the Parcel Post, and airplanes will travel 500 miles per hour," were Mr. Cowie's predictions.

He then continued by sketching the development of the express traffic of the world, showing how the former one-man, local, messenger business founded in Boston over 80 years ago, a haversack being the only equipment, developed into the present day service of the American Railway Express Company, with more than 100,000 employees and extending over 256,000 miles of railway. The air service will soon develop along similar lines.

Authorities on aviation problems believe that the success of commercial aviation in this country depends upon its express, United States Mail, and passengers, which are the three groups which will benefit by increased air service.

The principal scientific advances in the next five or ten years will be made along the lines of commercial aviation and radio transmission, in Mr. Cowie's opinion. He also believes that airports, which will be union depots, must be built close to large cities.