W. T. TILDEN URGES TRIP TO EUROPE FOR U.S. TENNIS

AMERICAN GALLERIES UNFAIR, SAYS COURT VETERAN

"Henri Cochet is the most promising of the four French players who carried off laurels at Germantown last September. I think he has the greatest genius for the game," said W. T. Tilden II yesterday afternoon in his dressing room in the Somerville Theatre, where he is taking the leading part in "They All Want Something". "But Rene Lacoste is the most consistent man tennis has ever seen. No one varies less in 365 days than he."

The United States Lawn Tennis Association recently has vetoed the suggestion of Tilden, that the American Davis Cup team play its preliminary rounds of the Davis Cub tournament in the European zone of play rather than in the American.

Yesterday Tilden outlined the following points which had prompted his suggestion. "If the American team goes abroad we have a reasonable chance for success. We could play in Europe during the entire spring and summer. Then our younger players, the team's bulwark in years to come, need practice under alien conditions. They had a great chance to obtain this, but it has been thrown away. Thirdly, there would have been adequate time to become accustomed to the differences in climate, food, light, and playing facilities. It would also have allowed the Americans who play on the Davis Cup team to compete in French tournaments. Francis Hunter and I consider this as an imperative courtesy to France."

"The opportunity for play in preparation for the Cup matches," Tilden continued, "is very little, if any, greater in the European than in the American zone, but this chance should be embraced. If the young players are successful here and then go to Europe, they will have no time to become accliminated across the Atlantic."

"Hunter and I believe that he and I should play in the French championships, and since we are convinced that our chances of success are slim unless we play in Europe previous to the championships, we advocated play in the European zone. We are therefore going to Europe and England to play in the championship matches. Whether we go officially or not depends on the Lawn Tennis Association."

In answer to the question whether he had met with unsportsmanlike treatment in France, as has been hinted at by many writers, he answered. "No crowd in Europe ever behaved as badly as the American crowd to Cochet in the Davis Cup match, and you can tell them I said so."