ICE AND COURT TEEM WITH ACTIVITY AS WINTER SPORTS INVADE LIMELIGHT

New Rulings Promise Radical Changes for Both Skaters and Floor Men

With a little more than a week of practice behind them the University hockey and basketball squads are beginning to round into shape. Both teams will have games on December 9 when the hockey sextet will clash with M. I. T. and the basketball five will meet Boston College.

Practice for the University hockey squad, which began this week, has been featured by special attention to the rules going into effect for the first time this season. They will make the game faster and will put a premium on speed and ability rather than mere power, a tendency which finds its origin in the rules governing Canadian hockey.

This year there will be more poke-checking and less body checking. One of the new rules legalizes forward passing out as far as the 60 foot mark provided a player is in his own zone. Another provision and one which will make possible larger scores than before cuts down the goal guard's padding. Formerly a lucky goal guard could stop many passes with but little effort because of his bulk, most of which was padding.

This season's schedule includes games with McGill, Toronto, the University Club, Dartmouth and Yale. It will be a longer season than last year but no more difficult.

Basketball Work in Full Swing

An exhibition game will be staged in Hemenway Gymnasium tonight at 8 o'clock between two picked teams of the basketball squad in order to demonstrate the changes in the rules of the game going into effect this season.

This game will be the first appearance of the squad this year and will give the spectators a chance to size up the prospects for the year. The hoopsters have been getting into shape rapidly and should be in good trim for their game with Boston College on December 9. Three football players, W. R. Harper '30, J. E. Combs ocC., and S. C. Burns '30, who have had a two weeks' respite following the close of the football season are now out and materially strengthen the team.