TRACK SQUAD TAKES BOARDS ON MONDAY

Material Is Also Soarce in Both Jump Events--Wealth of Distance Runners and Sprinters on Hand

The University track season will officially get under way on Monday, Coach E. L. Farrell announced, when interviewed by a CRIMSON reporter yesterday. This is an innovation over former years, when the season did not start until after the Christmas holidays, and is caused by the new reading plan, which allows less time for outside activities after the Christmas vacation than formerly.

This year, for the first time two tracks will be available, a cinder one in the new baseball cage, and a wooden one on Soldiers Field, as in former years. Although it has not yet been completed, it will be ready for Monday's practice.

Prospects for the coming season are good, Coach Farrell stated, with 18 letter men returning from last year's team, and a number of men from last year's Freshman Squad. Events in which the University is particularly strong are the dashes, long distance runs, and weight events. Again this season, there is a decided lack of material in the hurdles and the high jump.

Coach Farrell hopes for a large number of men to report on Monday, and stressed the fact that inexperience is no bar to competition. Starting last Monday, unofficial practice has been held daily in the old baseball cage on Soldiers Field. About 100 candidates, headed by Captain A. H. O'Neil '28, have already reported.

The time between next Monday and the Christmas holidays will be devoted solely to the fundamentals of track, and no time trials will be held until January, Coach Farrell said. The long distance men will train with roadwork until unfavorable weather forces them indoors. They will then use the cinder track to avoid the strain on the leg muscles caused, by running long distances on wooden boards.