THE LIFELINE

The plan announced by the University Employment Office, which has in mind the securing of lucrative, permanent positions for those men who graduate next June, has every appearance of being one of the most important advances yet made by this department of University Hall.

An initial division of the Senior class into those who desire no assistance, those who wish to interview firms in the field which they have selected, and those who are undecided and wish to consult alumni in different kinds of business, seems to hold promise in its simplicity. An assurance is therein implied that the efforts of the Employment Office will have a new concentration, where they are most needed.

That interviews with the firms with whom the Senior contemplates a permanent connection will follow close upon the midyear period, is a significant improvement. The hasty decisions that become necessary as the Yard is decked out in Commencement gayety should diminish, if they do not disappear altogether. A close investigation of the credentials of firms, in the past a work of the Office, may now be placed more generally in the hands of the Senior himself. Guidance of graduates already acquainted with a business should minimize that group of errors which have been ascribable to precipitate choice.

It is upon the prosecution of this most important part of the plan that the question of its success will probably depend. Such alliances between graduate and undergraduate have had varying values in the past. This latest arrangement smacks of permanence.