THE SERPENT ON THE TREE

That parasitic serpent on the tree of knowledge, the Professional Tutor, is brought under the glare of undergraduate analysis in the current Advocate. Surprisingly enough, the process leaves the reader with the distinct impression that the genus is not entirely poisonous; potential virtues he has, avows Mr. Herz, even though they are outweighed by his sins.

Possibly the Advocate author chose to view all sides of the question. In so doing, however, he has defeated his own ends: perusal of the article leads one to object to the "Professional Tutor' (why so called? Tutors in Harvard College are equally professional and, in many cases, quite as efficient) solely on one ground--his rates are exorhitant. His services are acknowledged to be of great value and often essential; his prices alone mark him as a Pariah.

In such a view the Advocate's critic has offered his vulnerable side. He says that there is a great class, composed "of those who are of average intelligence and ambition but who are so unfortunate as to be enrolled in courses in which the reading is too difficult to review and the lectures too disjointed to form a possible unity." To forestall this difficulty and to eliminate the outside tutor he would have professors: 1. provide a careful outline of the course 2. in this outline include "a detailed summary of not only the lectures but an outline of the assigned reading and apply this reading to the lecture" 3. hold pre-examination seminars 4. "tell the class what type of question will be asked, and what phases of the work are to be covered in the examination."

The last of these suggestions is no novelty--instructors in every course in the College always sketch the type of examination which they propose to give. Of the other three this may be said: such a platform leaves no room for a test of the student's powers of coordination. In the individual lies his ability to write scattered threads; his success in so doing determines his success as a student. If his thinking is to be made mechanical he may as well give up all ambitions of becoming "educated."

The Paid Tutor who works on a whole sale basis is a menace. Not only are his motives out of accordance with those of the college authorities but the very foundation of his pedagogy is erronous. He is trying to beat the game and he is likewise stuffing machine made opinions, quotations, and similar paraphenalia down the throats of his customers. Naturally he is not as cupable as are those who patronize him. But for neither is there necessary any condonation. The Paid Tutor is an evil; a popular evil but not certainly, a necessary evil.