BOSTON LATIN SCHOOL TAKES SCHOLASTIC PALM

Public Institution Wins Phi Beta Kappa Trophy for Third Time--Exeter Places Second

The Phi Beta Kappa Scholarship Trophy, a handsome bronze plaque which has been given every year since 1915 to the preparatory school or high school whose graduates attain the highest distinction in examinations for admission to college, was won this year for the third consecutive time by the Boston Latin School, of which P. T. Campbell '93 is headmaster. The average for the winning team of seven men was 90.25 percent. Phillips Exeter Academy was next in order with an average of 89.16 percent.

Award Basis Changed

In 1925 the basis of the award was changed: no school preparing less than seven boys for college was allowed to enter the competition, and no longer was the competing school required to send any of its boys to Harvard. Moreover, the standing of the several schools in the records made by all the graduates in the contest was to be determined not by a given year, but by the achievement of the best seven from each school. The rating of the teams is based upon the highest average obtained in four College Entrance Examinations on subjects chosen by each of the team's seven members.

The members of this year's winning team, all of whom came to Harvard, with their averages are: Solomon Eliazor Shorshovsity, 94.14 percent: William Alexander Sloan, 91.12 percent: George Roscoe Dunham Jr. 90.58 percent: Norman Ziegler, 90.50 percent: Ralph Adolph Ross, 89.64 percent: John Gerald Long, 88.09 percent: and Joel Brenner, 87.70 percent.