FRENCH, DASHING HALFBACK, WILL LEAD 1928 TEAM

Flashy Run Saved Dartmouth Game Last Year--New Gridiron Head Is Also Track Star

Arthur Eugene French Jr. '29, of Winchester, was elected captain of the 1928 University football team when the lettermen of the past season gathered for the team picture yesterday.

The new leader of the Crimson gridiron forces has been one of the fleetest of the ball-carrying squadron on Soldiers Field for the past two seasons, with a habit of breaking loose for long runs at critical moments in a game, especially if the time is running short. In the Dartmouth game of last year, with 90 seconds to play and the score 12 to 10 against Harvard, French dashed to the heights of gridiron glory when he found a hole in the Green bulwark, flicked to right and left, and covered 47 yards for a winning touchdown. In the closing minutes of the Yale game this year, the new gridiron leader broke loose for several long gains that raised momentary hope in Harvard breasts.

Brilliant Trackman

Attending Winchester High School and Worcester Academy, French was a star halfback and track performer at both institutions. He was captain of his Freshman football team at the University, high individual scorer in the Yale track meet, tallying especially heavily in the dash and the broad-jump. In the class elections the Freshmen elected French president of the class.

During the past season the 1928 football leader alternated at halfback and quarterback, proving himself a star in the lateral pass plays in which his fleetness of foot and a sure pair of hands stood him in good stead.

Bingham and Horween-Confer

Coach Arnold Horween '20, of the University football team, visiting Cambridge for the election of the football captain, will go into conference today with W. J. Bingham '16, Director of Athletics. Although the topics of discussion are not known, the possible choice of new assistant coaches, plans for the spring practice sessions, and gridiron schedules for 1929 and 1930 may be included in the ground to be covered in the conference