He That Hath Ears--

THE MAIL

By K. B. Daggett .

To the Editor of the CRIMSON:

In last Saturday's issue of the New York Herald-Tribune, Dr. John Roach Straton, pastor of Calvary Baptist Church, protested that he had been misquoted in reports of his address delivered at the Union recently. It was charged by Dr. Straton that some newspapers had quoted him as saying that, "He (a man to whom he was referring) had some elements of human decency about him, even if he was a Jewish Judge", while in truth he had said, "Though the judge was a Jew and not a Christian, and though he had in the case to deal with matters involving Christian truths, he showed a right spirit and was absolutely fair."

Dr. Straton, in making this statement was wrong, as all who heard him at the Union will agree. He did say what the newspapers quoted him as saying, or at least said words that implied that thought. Whether the laughter in the audience caused by this statement was a sign of approbation and approval, or of admiration for the man who would dare to say, such a thing in such a place, is hard to determine, but that he said it and that it raised considerable furore at the time is certain.

If Dr. Straton still doubts the veracity of newspaper reports on the subject, let him consider that he gave his address orally and did not read it. The newspaper men took it verbatim as he delivered it. Does Mr. Straton think his memory more accurate than these notes?

Every man be he Dr. Straton or Joe Forecast should, when he has made a statement, be willing to stand by it, and not wish to crawl out of it like a dastard. If Dr. Straton desires publicity, his is a good method of obtaining it. If, however, he wishes to see articles reporting his speeches written in a tone complimentary to him, let him think out what he's going to say before he says it, and not talk for a half hour extempore at the conclusion of his main address.