Georgetown Agrees

THE PRESS

The long discussed and often debated question of the uses and abuses of higher education was recently silhouetted in a vast flood-light of truth from the pen of one of 'America's foremost educators, President A. Lawrence Lowell, of Harvard. President Lowell, in his annual report to the directors of Harvard University, considers the various high points of college and high school education unprejudicedly and in a manner which only one with a scope as is his could attempt. Another vast field for intellectual advancement which is very favorably considered by this eminent savant is that of self-education. In late years educators seem to have come to the conclusion both from experiment and experience that education acquired by one's own seeking, particularly along some special line of interest, is not only much more quickly apprehended but also more readily retained. Another point in favor of self-education gained from practical work in some particular line, lies in the fact that the student will invariably uncover just what facts and material he may wish to know and thinks that he should know in order to be successful in his endeavors. He will find that his knowledge on the subject will gradually become inclusive and well balanced.

Holding the esteemed position that he does, the presidency of one of the oldest and most dignified institutions for higher education in America, President Lowell could not help but be aware of the unlimited treasures which may be unearthed by any earnest college student. He realizes that the majority of college educations are not wasted, although there be many misfits in the advanced educational palaces of today, and consequently he does not, as some may claim, attempt to repel the surging wave of American youth into the colleges, professional and technical schools which may or may not be anxious to harbor them. His objective, as connoted by his versed opinions seems to be this, that a clear understanding of what real education is, may be gained, just where to look for it, and just who is fit for advanced education, and who will better serve his community and himself by immediate entrance into an active career in the work of that community. Georgetown Hoya