Supreme Court Justice Sotomayor Talks Justice, Civic Engagement at Radcliffe Day

Church Says It Did Not Authorize ‘People’s Commencement’ Protest After Harvard Graduation Walkout

‘Welcome to the Battlefield’: Maria Ressa Talks Tech, Fascism in Harvard Commencement Address

Multimedia

In Photos: Harvard’s 373rd Commencement Exercises

Rabbi Zarchi Confronted Maria Ressa, Walked Off Stage Over Her Harvard Commencement Speech

CANUCK STICKMEN LOSE TO CRIMSON

Visitors Display Lack of Teamwork and Also of Shooting Ability--One Penalty in Entire Game

Last night the Arena ice was the scene of another battle between Captain Ellison's sextet and an invading set of Canadian skaters, this time from Laval University of Montreal. Outplayed at every point by the Harvard stickmen and bewildered by the rapid changes in the Crimson lineup, the invaders retired from the ice on the short end of a 4-1 count.

Zarakov Scores

Scarcely a minute after the fall of the puck at the start of the game, Zarakov gave the spectators a hint of the way the balance would turn when he whirled in front of the Laval net, took a lightning pass from Tudor and caged the puck for the Crimson's first score. Halfway through the first period Captain Ellison dashed down the left lane and netted a powerful drive from an acute angle. A. Matte made the lone Canadian tally near the period's close on a duplicate of Ellison's feat.

Morrill, guarding the Crimson goal, made numerous stellar stops; neither speedy sizzler nor slow teaser could slide past his impregnable defense.

Harvard outplayed the invaders consistently during the first period. The Frenchmen, while fast, were extremely wild, both in passing and in shooting, and failed to penetrate the tight defense put up by the Crimson.

Early in the period Zarakov took the puck from Tudor, who had taken it down the left lane, and on a sharp pass caged it, the period having then run but 45 seconds.

Matte Scores

Just before the close of the period. A. Matte discarded the defensive tactics of his team, and eluding the entire Crimson outfit, drove a beautiful shot past Morrill.

The second period started faster. After two and a half minutes of play Scott dashed down centre ice, passed all the Laval defenders and shot the puck to Zarakov in the right lane. The latter barely caught the disk, but flicking it back to Scott, enabling him to drive a score into the free net. The tally, however, was disallowed because Zarakov had fallen and struck the ice before the puck had left him.

The Laval attack now speeded up considerably. Two and a half minutes after the opening, Fortier's team almost dribbled past Morrill and a moment later Tudor flicked the puck past Laire on a pass from Zarakov. Several minutes after this, another shot almost passed Morrill. A flash of leather knee pads, a resounding thud, and he had averted another potential counter.

With the period ten minutes old, Chase drove the puck past the Laval defense men and Labrie for the Crimson's final score.

The game was marked by absence of penalties one only having being inflicted. The summary follows. HARVARD  LAVAL Tudor, Gross l.w.  r.w. Vanasse, Lemieux Scott, Chase c.  c. Fortier, Blais Zarakov, Hamlen r.w.  l.w. Mills, R. Matte Ellison, Howard l.d.  rd. A. Matte, Massee Clark, Coady r.d.  l.d. Taschercan Morrill g.  g. Labrie

Score, Harvard 4. Laval 1. Goals Zarakov, Ellison A. Matte, Tudor Chose, Referees, Foote, Enwright. Time, 20-minute periods.