1930 ATHLETES SCORE TWO MINOR SPORT WINS

ST. GEORGE'S AND ANDOVER ARE VICTIMS OF 1930 SKILL

Two Freshman minor sport teams chalked up victories on alien fields last Saturday while a third went down to defeat on its home ground.

The basket-tossers overcame their opponents' lead in the final minutes of play, and downed St. George's 26-22. At Andover the track team in its initial appearance of the indoor season barely nosed out Andover 41 5-6 to 39 1-6. The lone defeat occurred at the Hemenway Gymnasium, where the Choate grapplers proved too strong for the 1930 team, defeating it 13 to 11.

The track team's victory marked Andover's first defeat on the indoor track since the opening of the Andover cage in 1925. At the same time the score was the closest ever recorded by the Blue in a winter meet.

In the track events the 1930 men had things their own ways T. F. Mason won both the 40-yard dash and 300-yard run. W. G. Dooley scored an easy victory in the 1000-yard run, and missed the track record by a bare fifth of a second. While the Freshmen did not win the 45-yard hurdles they captured both second and third places. Out of a possible 45 points in the track events, they took 35.

In the basketball contest with St. George's the Crimson first year quintet was forced to display its best. The game was an up-hill fight from the start and the Crimson chances for victory seemed nil until just before the final whistle, when the score stood 26 to 22.