Willie Hoppe Finds Championship Billiard Match Trying Ordeal--Balls Are Sensitive in Response to Conditions

"A championship billiard match is the most trying of all competitions," said Willie Hoppe, world champion bil-Hard player, who again retained his title last week in a match with Walter Cochran. When interviewed yesterday by a Crimson reporter in his suite at the Elks' Hotel.

"From the beginning to the end of a title match", said Hoppe, "I am at a nervous tension. Afterward I am a wreck. Of course, this is partly due to, the necessity of playing in a room kept at 80 degrees temperature because bil-Hard balls are most resilient at this temperature. In fact, the opening of a door, which allows a cold gust of air to enter the room, causes an immediate deadening of the balls. Another thing which shows the peculiarly delicate character of the ivories is their comparative life in high or low ceilinged rooms. In a low room conditions are best. How to judge conditions and their effect on the responsiveness of the balls is one of the essentials of championship calibre."

Hoppe believes that his ability to concentrate is another factor in his success. "From the time I take a cue in my hand," he said, "my mind is on nothing but the game. Incidentally, I have found that this not only helps my own game but operates as a sort of mental hazard to my opponents. An attitude of indifference toward the other fellow's game and an obvious confidence in your own, coupled with an extreme care in every shot, eventually forces him to the conclusion that you are in fallible and breaks down his morale"

Whatever Hoppe's philosophy of the game it has shown its worth in the 32 years of his billiard experience. He began his career at the age of seven and since that time has been three times holder of the world title, the first time for an unbroken period of 15 years, from 1960 to 1921.