The Doctrine of Simplicity and the Dogma of Defiance

THE GOSPEL OF SUPERMAN, translated from the French of Henri Lichtenberger. By S. M. Kennedy. The Macmillan Co.

By Dinsmore WHEELER .

M.LICHTENBERGER'S book is a good introduction to the spirit life and works of the hair-raising critic-philosopher-poet Fredrich Nietzsche. As a whole the treaties are concise and brief, the style, simple and clear. The book is not a criticism of Nietzsche but an apology and an appreciation. The adverse critics are frowned on as irreverant and unjust. The gaps in the philosophy are filled in, the rough places smoothed over. It is strange to see the disciple swallow the master in a way that old Friedrich never swallowed anyone or anything. This over-adulation occupies a minor part of the book, however. In the main, the author expounds and explains the criticism and philosophy of Nietzsche with admirable clarity and vigor.

Before tackling Nietzsche it is almost essential to have a general notion of the man's life and thought in order to understand what he attempted to do. Without such a notion one is sure to get lost in the confusion of styles, aphorisms, hymns, epithets and curses that are composed with such violence and passion. As a broad, general treatment, this book will serve very well. versy with labor leaders. He was naturally opposed to the "closed" shop; and on one occasion "gave labor a violent shock when he called "the scab' an American hero. Labor leaders, nevertheless, respected and even liked him." They could not help reacting favorably to his obvious sincerity, earestness and courage.

President Neilson thinks that perhaps the most interesting section of these two volumes is the section containing the papers on the "Conduct of Life". They are certainly very interesting; and some of them are written with such simplicity and charm of language that they are sure to make a very strong appeal to the reader. Here are found also the three books which President Eliot himself thought might have a more permanent value than other writings--"The Happy Life"; "John Gilley"; the "Life of Charles Eliot". "These papers on the conduct of life are the answer to those who think of Dr. Eliot as a man concerned only with intellectual and material values. They display from many angles his profound concern with human character and his conviction that it is in spiritual things that the permanent satisfactions of life are found.