BASEBALL SEASON STARTS WEDNESDAY

Team May Resume Relations With Nipponese Nine in May--Parent Back to Coach

The last of the year's major sports at Harvard will get under way next Wednesday when Coach Mitchell meets candidates for both the Freshman and University teams in the Varsity Club at 5 o'clock in the afternoon. This meeting was originally scheduled for the evening, but has been shifted because of the Harvard-Dartmouth hockey game. A competition for second assistant manager will be begun next. Thursday with a meeting of candidates at 1.05 o'clock at the H. A. A.

Following the meeting, there will be a dinner to which former baseball "H" men living in the vicinity of Boston, and members of last year's "Big Three" championship nine still in college have been invited.

Not until the following Monday will actual work begin in the cage on Soldiers Field. Due to the fact that the cage will be the scene of the high jump, shot put, and weight throwing events in the Triangular track meet between Harvard, Dartmouth, and Cornell over the week-end, the diamond season will not commence until the following Monday. For a week at least, the Harvard baseball mentor plans to devote his attention only to the Freshmen and University battery men The new cage will not be completed in time for winter work this year.

Parent to Coach Again

Coach Mitchell announced yesterday that Coach Parent would continue as his assistant in charge of the Class baseball teams this spring, and that Claude Davidson would continue to handle the Freshman squad. Parent serving his first season on the Harvard payroll a year ago proved a valuable addition to the coaching staff, the former Red Sox infielder being in a large measure responsible for the development of Sullivan, Ullman and Chase. Davidson has coached the first-year ball tossers for the past four years with more than ordinary success.

In the schedule released by the Harvard Athletic Association this week through the columns of the H. A. A. News, no mention is made of the game that has been arranged with the Braves.. The Harvard team will play the Braves in Boston on Monday, April 11, in the event that the game scheduled between the Red Sox and Braves for the previous Saturday is not cancelled because of bad weather. This will mark the Crimson's first appearance against a major league club since 1916, when Eddie Mahan succeeded in twirling his nine to a 2 to 0 triumph over the Red Sox, an outfit which later annexed the world's pennant. Coach Mitchell was in charge of that Harvard team of 11 years ago.

A request has been received from Waseda University, of Tokio, Japan, for a game with the Crimson some time in May. If a satisfactory date can be agreed upon, diamond relations will be resumed with this Nipponese nine, which three years ago put up such a good battle on Soldiers Field.

The date of Saturday, May 21, still remains unfilled on the Harvard schedule, and present plans call for a team of alumni to oppose Coach Mitchell's aggregation on that afternoon. George Abbott '95, formerly chairman of the Baseball Advisory Committee, will have charge of gathering together an alumni team. Last year, after a bad start in the first inning, the Harvard graduates played the University nine practically to a standstill. An effort will be made by Abbott to enlist the services of Mahan to pitch for the alumni.

At the dinner next Wednesday night, the Wendell Bat and the Wingate Cup will be presented to the outstanding players on last year's team. A season ago Captain Zarakov was chosen for both honors. Coach Mitchell will make the presentations.

Counting the date on the southern trip that is still listed as "open", the Harvard schedule contains 35 games, which makes this the most ambitious task ever attempted by any Crimson nine during the past 15 years