AGAIN THE MARINES

It is now almost a month since a wave of international consciousness swept over the United States and so aroused the national conscience as to force the administration to abandon an ostensibly imperialistic policy toward Nicaragua. It seemed at the time a signal victory for public sentiment and for a public acumen not blinded by Secretary Kellogg's red flag waving. It also seemed that the Nicaraguans were to be allowed to fight it out among themselves or that some non-partisan steps toward mediation would be taken.

But yesterday we learned that the Nicaraguan Conservative leader, Diaz, (president or usurper depending on the point of view) wishes to convert his country into a United States protectorate. His action lends color to the report that he is controlled by "vested interests", New York bankers in particular. Two weeks ago 1000 additional Marines were dispatched to aid Admiral Latimer. In their efforts to protect American lives and property and the surveyors' stages that are the proposed Nicaraguan Canal they have occupied two positions of vital strategic importance toward which the Liberals were aiming.

In brief, the agitation against interference in Nicaragua seems to have succeeded only in gaining so many meaningless phrases from the White House. This is in every way unfortunate. It is unfortunate in that it seems to be a breach of good falich. It is further unfortunate in that it makes the altogether fine if not altogether timely Disarmament Proposal appear to have been in part prompted by a desire to divert public attention from Central American affairs that a rather questionable policy might not be hindered by public opprobrium.