BIBLIOPHILES BAND IN HONOR OF JOHN BARNARD

NEW SOCIETY TO FOSTER LOVE OF BOOKS AND BOOK-LORE

In a desire to honor the memory of John Barnard, 1700, a number of book-lovers in the University, under the name of the John Barnard Associates, have founded a group to further the work of the great bibliophile and benefactor of Harvard University.

A minister at Marblehead, John Barnard kept in constant touch with the College, and was much interested in its growth. His opportunity to aid it in a truly significant manner, came about the middle of the eighteenth century, with the burning of the college Library. He immediately gave his entire collection of books for the founding of a new library. Even today, wanderers in the stacks run upon books bearing a John Barnard book-plate.

The objects of the Associates are to discuss matters of mutual bookish interest; to hold exhibitions of valuable books belonging to Harvard men; to honor in a significant manner prominent benefactors of the Widener Library; to print catalogues, papers and other things which occupy the attention of the members and which may serve to stimulate a more active interest in the objects of the society.

Professor George Herbert Palmer '64 has accepted the Honorary Presidency of the organization, which was offered to him as the donor to the Library of his own large colection of books.

New members must be proposed by a member of the Association, and their election must be voted upon by the entire group.

W. A. M. Burden '27 has been appointed chairman; E. A. Wieser '28, clerk; C. R. Gordon '23, bursar; Mr. E. L. Moriarty, typographer. G. P. Winship '93 and Mr. N. C. Starr '17 are members of the Executive Committee.