ENGLISH AUTHOR TO SPEAK TONIGHT ON LITERARY LIFE

Has Been in America on Three Months Lecture Tour--Young Writers Find Him Sympathetic

Ford Madox Ford, the famous English author and friend of Joseph Conrad, will speak in the Living Room of the Union tonight at 7.30 o'clock, taking as his subject, "Thirty Years of Literary Life in Europe."

Mr. Ford has been in the United States since the first part of November, lecturing throughout the eastern section of the country. He is returning to Europe on Saturday.

Mr. Ford is a very prolific writer, being the author of more than 40 books. He has recently completed a trilogy of novels on the war, bearing the titles "Some Do Not", "No More Parades", and "A Man Could Stand Up."

He was the close friend of Joseph Conrad for more than 10 years, and collaborated with him in several novels, such as "The Secret Agent", and "Romance." Since the death of Conrad, Mr. Ford has been called the finest stylist writing in English.

Changed Name During War

Mr. Ford's surname was originally Hueffer, but he changed it during the war because of his dislike for the German name. In the war, he served in the aviation, and was both wounded and gassed.

Apart from his lecturing, Mr. Ford has been active since his arrival in a literary way. He is writing a book on the United States to be entitled "America Is Not New York", and has also been writing a series of articles for "Books", the literary supplement of the "New York Sunday Herald-Tribune". He recently published an article on "American Cookery," which appeared in Harper's Magazine.

Mr. Ford is particularly known for the assistance which he gives to young, unknown authors, who are unable to find publishers. As editor of the English Review, he constantly sought out and championed unknown talent. In the Review, he first published works of D. H. Lawrence and Ezra Pound, who have since become well known in the literary world.

Mr. Ford lives in Paris where he is the center of the American literary colony. In the summer he lives at Avig-non on an island in the Rhone.