NEW AGREEMENT CONCLUDED WITH YALE REVISES FORMER "BIG THREE" COVENANT

W. J. Bingham and G. W. Nettleton, Eli Sports Mentor, Bring H-Y-P Pact Up to Date

A new stage in friendliness and cooperation between the University and Yale in matters of intercollegiate athletics was reached yesterday with the consummation of an agreement between W. J. Bingham '16, Director of Athletics, and George H. Nettleton, chairman of the Board of Control of the Yale Athletic Association.

The agreement is essentially a recasting of the Triple Agreement of June, 1916, making it now applicable as one drawn up between Harvard and Yale. The pact in full follows:

Text Quoted.

"With the intent of maintaining existing athletic relations between Harvard and Yale in their essential integrity, and with mutual confidence in the cordial spirit as well as in the actual rules controlling such relations, it is mutually agreed:

"1. That the Triple Agreement (the Harvard-Yale-Princeton Agreement of 1916, together with all revisions now incorporated in it) shall continue as the code governing the joint athletic relations and contests between Harvard and Yale, but Section 3 of Article VI of the agreement of January 1, 1923 shall read: "No post-season contests or contests for the purpose of setting sectional or other championships shall be permitted."

"2. That the Harvard and Yale chairmen shall perform jointly the general functions filled, under the Triple Agreement by the Committee of the three chairmen but after such consultation as may at any time be desired by either chairman, final responsibility for the eligibility, scholastic and otherwise, of individual members of athletic teams shall rest with the University concerned.

"3. That either party to the present agreement between Harvard and Yale may withdraw upon six month's notice preceded by joint conference."

These provisions leave the agreement practically in its form as it applied to the Big Three save for the recorded change in Section 3 of Article VI.

In the Triple Agreement, Article VI under the heading of "Football Games" read: "No post-season contests, or contests for the purpose of settling sectional or other championships, or involving long and expensive trips or extended absence from the University shall be permitted."

Omitted Clause Vague

It was felt that the meaning of the omitted clause was too vague, and subject too much to the varyings of individual interpretation to be of any value. The decision as to what constitutes a "long and expensive trip" is now left in the hands of each Athletic Committee to judge as it sees fit.

Under the Triple Agreement a trip to Princeton was considered feasible, but not one to Michigan. Whereas, actual statistics show that the squad left half an hour earlier for Princeton than it would for Michigan, and the expense was equally as great, particularly as a smaller squad would undoubtedly make the trip to Michigan.

It was to obviate such divergences of opinion, and to give each University greater freedom in its decisions that the present accord was reached.