CRIMSON CONTEST STARTS FOR 1929

Business Competition for Freshmen and Sophomores Starts Thursday--Opportunity for Wide Experience

Tonight the News Department of the Crimson is opening its doors to members of the class of 1929 for the last time. The final competition will get under way at 7.30 o'clock in the Crimson building when President J. F. Barnes '27 will outline the general plan of the competition to all candidates in the President's office.

On Thursday evening at 7 o'clock the Business Department is opening its doors to both the Sophomore and Freshman classes, this being the initial opportunity for men of the class of 1930 to try for the Business board. At the meeting Thursday night the Business Manager, J. L. Prescott '27, will outline the work to be done.

April 1 Closing Date

The News competition which begins tonight will continue until April 1, lasting in all only seven weeks and being one of the shortest competitions ever held by the Crimson. The competition, admittedly rigorous, will in its limited extent not interfere greatly with scholastic duties. Men entering it will not only have ample opportunity to prepare for their finals, but will be through in time to engage in any of the spring sports.

Candidates are Reporters

News candidates are, in every sense of the word reporters. Their duties correspond to those of reporters on the big dailies throughout the country. They compete for news pertaining to the University in much the same manner that professional newspaper men scout for sensational "scoops". The work touches every phase of University life. The reporting of athletics plays a large part in the duties of the candidate. He must cover games, interview coaches, keep in touch with other athletic teams. The Crimson candidate, moreover, comes in contact with many prominent people in every phase of activity. Actresses, prominent lecturers and political men are interviewed.

A candidate inevitably develops initiative and a sense of responsibility. His hand is on the pulse of timely events. He becomes a full-fledged newspaperman. After making the board, he has an opportunity to compete for consecutive positions on the paper. Although the work is necessarily hard, it is highly interesting and instructive.

The News competition is conducted on a point basis, twice as much credit being given per inch of "scooped" news as per inch of assigned news.

Business Competition Valuable

The Business competition starting Thursday evening and open to all members of the Sophomore and Freshman classes offers valuable experience to all men who contemplate going into business after college. Doing a yearly business of $50,000, the Crimson affords an introduction to all phases of accounting, credit, and the other branches of business work.

It will last approximately nine weeks and men elected to the board at the close of the contest will be eligible for the office of assistant business manager in their Junior year and of business manager in their Senior year. At the start, work will consist mainly of obtaining subscriptions and of soliciting advertisements. Through the training offered by the business department, candidates gain extensive and practical experience in newspaper business and advertising.