Supreme Court Justice Sotomayor Talks Justice, Civic Engagement at Radcliffe Day

Church Says It Did Not Authorize ‘People’s Commencement’ Protest After Harvard Graduation Walkout

‘Welcome to the Battlefield’: Maria Ressa Talks Tech, Fascism in Harvard Commencement Address

Multimedia

In Photos: Harvard’s 373rd Commencement Exercises

Rabbi Zarchi Confronted Maria Ressa, Walked Off Stage Over Her Harvard Commencement Speech

BECK HALL ON SALE AFTER 50 YEARS AS COLLEGE BUILDING

Prominent Graduate Bought Hall in 1925 -- Has Housed Many of Harvard's Leading Students

After 50 years service as a University dormitory Beck Hall is to be sold. Yesterday morning the "For Sale" sign appeared under written by the name of Sleeper and Dunlop, real estate agents. It has always been in private hands and many times before has been on the point of being demolished. Once the alumni contributed to a fund to avoid its destruction.

Built in 1876 its first owner was probably Anna L. Mooring. Instead of willing it to the University as was expected, on her death she bequeathed it to the Massachusetts Homeophatic Hospital, which organization administered it for many years. After some time it was bought by a group of Harvard graduates and in 1907 it again changed hands finally to wind up in 1924 in the hands of Samuel Lebowitch, who threatened to tear the building down. C. C. Stillman '98 acquired it in the same year and on his death last summer the executors, in order to settle up his estate decided to sell the building.

It has been the residence of many of Harvard's most eminent graduates. Among those who have passed their college years as residents of the hall are Theodore Roosevelt, J. P. Morgan, Jr., and Julius Morgan. In past years the quarters were very much sought for and the records show that graduates signed up their sons for suites there while they were still in the cradle.