MACMILLAN PREDICTS FUTURE FOR AIRCRAFT

SEES GREAT DEVELOPMENT OF NORTHERN REGIONS

"The northernmost regions of the world will be explored by dirigible and not by airplane," Commander Donald MacMillan revealed to the CRIMSON yesterday. "The future of the North Pole regions will be determined by the dirigible. In my Polar Expedition in 1925 I went as far north in a ship as it is safe to go. No one will ever go beyond Etah without endangering his life.

"The problem," said Commander MacMillan speaking of Polar discovering expeditions, "is not in getting to the North Pole, but in knowing you are there if you get there. I am certain that one or two explorers have passed over the extreme top of the world, but they have no way to prove it. The only exact way of locating the Pole is by a careful study of the sun, the moon and the stars, in their relationship with each other, but since the moon and stars cannot be seen in summer when explorations can be made, no one has yet found the top of the world. Probably Peary, in 1909 came within 15 miles of the Pole, and that was very close. On that trip Peary lay on his stomach for 30 hours sighting to determine the exact spot, and then didn't quite succeed. In 1925 Byrd and I probably flew over the Pole, but the trembling of the plane made sighting impossible. It is believed that on his 1926 fly, Byrd passed over the Pole, but no one will ever know for certain."

Looking into the future, Commander MacMillan said, "When your generation is grown up, you will be making yearly excursions to the North Pole regions. My generation will find it and yours will develop it."