FAVORABLE REACTION

Considering the fact that metropolitan newspapers were almost universally unfavorable when the campaign for the reorganization of intercollegiate football was launched a year and a half ago the very favorable press comments upon President Hopkins' proposal published in an adjoining column are highly significant of the very definite change of opinion which has taken place in the interval.

It is particularly important that the tone of these comments should be considered seriously because of the fact that superficial examination of newspaper stories of the reaction to the Dartmouth plan would lead to the conclusion that it is receiving general condemnation. An Associated Press dispatch carries the headline. "Majority Opposed to Hopkins Ideas". Almost without exception this "majority opposed" is made up of professional coaches. When the source of a man's salary is attacked he will of course arise to defend it. While the personal bias thus introduced is quite natural it destroys any weight the opinion might otherwise have.

University Presidents and Directors of Athletics are on the whole either favorable, non-committal, or opposed to some of Mr. Hopkins suggestions while favoring others. The only sweeping condemnation of both Mr. Hopkins' general principles and specific propositions comes from the graduate manager of the University of Pennsylvania. Dr. Kennedy of Princeton attacks the Dartmouth President's constructive ideas but nowhere says that nothing should be done about the present intercollegiate organization. In fact he bases his whole case upon the contention that more emphasis rather than less upon football would be the result of the Dartmouth plan. In other words he is against Mr. Hopkins constructive program because he is in sympathy with the desire for reform which actuated that program.

The harvest of first reactions is then a generally favorable and highly encouraging one. It seems to justify the contention made yesterday that the time was ripe for definite and constructive action. The important thing is not whole hearted support for the specific proposals of President Hopkins but general agreement with his fundamental contention that steps should be taken to reform abuses in intercollegiate football. The latter, so far as can now be determined, has been very fully, attained. The next step is a definite invitation from Dartmouth for a conference, which in turn must wait upon the decision of the Dartmouth Athletic Council. Under the circumstances it is inconceivable that its decision will be negative.